Carnac Island Eco-Tour
Interact with Friendly Sea Lions on our amazing Carnac Island Half Day Sail
Lying between Rottnest and Garden Islands, Carnac Island is an A-class Nature Reserve, teeming with wildlife (David Attenborough has even done a documentary on the wildlife here!).
Carnac Island is a leisurely 45 minute sail from Fremantle Boat Harbour through the gentle waters of Cockburn Sound. It is an important haul out location for Australian Sea Lions and a myriad of sea birds as well as boasting spectacular diving, snorkelling and fishing.
A large sheltered bay on the eastern side of Carnac provides a safe haven from the southwest wind and swell – you just might have to share the beach with some playful juvenile Sea Lions!
Bottlenose Dolphins are also very common in the area and Capella is able to get closer than other boats without noisy motors scaring them off.
The clear, calm, shallow waters of Carnac island allow you to venture almost right up to the shore where you can step off into waist deep water to head off for a snorkel.
If the easterly is up, no worries! The western side of Carnac is an absolute delight with high limestone cliffs plunging into the water and a truly spectacular anchorage perfect for paddling the kayaks around.
Please click on the Term & Conditions tab above for tour specific T&C’s. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon! 🙂
DepartureSardine Jetty, 1 Mews Rd, Fremantle (Fishing Boat Harbour)
ScheduleOperates on select dates between Nov and April. View the live bookings calendar below.
Departure Time8am or 1pm (depending on schedule)
Return TimeReturns approx. 4 hours later
Dress CodeCasual, comfortable clothing. No heels on deck
IncludedBYO additional drinksCicerello's 10% DiscountCoffee/TeaDrinking WaterHuge cargo net (if conditions allow)Morning TeaQuality snorkel gear (masks/fins)Stand Up Paddle BoardSun LotionUse of 2 Kayaks
Not IncludedAfternoon TeaBoom NetDrinking water onboardGlass of sparklingNo Booking FeesRefreshments available for purchaseRIA Admission FeesShared antipastoShared Fruit PlatterShared seasonal fruit platterUse of Kayaks/SUPsYummy Buffet Lunch
About Carnac IslandLying between Rottnest and Garden Islands, Carnac Island is an A class nature reserve, teeming with wildlife (David Attenborough has even done a documentary on the wildlife here).Carnac Island is a leisurely 45 minute sail from Fremantle Boat Harbour, through the gentle waters of Cockburn Sound. It is an important haul out location for Australian Sea Lions and a myriad of sea birds as well as boasting spectacular diving, snorkelling and fishing. A large sheltered bay on the eastern side of Carnac provides a safe haven from the southwest wind and swell – you just might have to share the beach with some playful juvenile Sea Lions! Bottlenose Dolphins are also very common in the area and Capella is able to get closer than other boats without noisy motors to scare them off.The clear, calm, shallow waters of Carnac island allow you to venture almost right up to the shore where you can literally step off into waist deep water to head off for a snorkel. If the easterly is up, no worries!… The western side of Carnac is an absolute delight with high limestone cliffs plunging into the water and a truly spectacular anchorage perfect for paddling the kayaks around.Please ensure you read tour "Terms & Conditions" before booking. We look forward to welcoming you onboard! :)
Important InformationOur general T&C's and cancellations policy is found at the bottom of our website.Any tour-specific terms and conditions are listed below.
- We generally operate with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 24. If minimum numbers are not reached we will contact you 3-5 days out to arrange an alternative date that suits you.
Allergy / Dietary Needs
- Morning tea is provided complimentary as part of this experience. We offer a range of sweet and savoury options that caters to most tastes (e.g. fruit, cakes, pastries, juice, coffee/teas), however if you have specific food requirements you are very welcome to bring your own. We try to be as broad as possible but are unable to cater to individual needs.
- Please advise us in advance of any serious allergies (i.e. anaphylaxis) that we should be aware of during vessel preparation.
- Remember, sailing is an outdoor activity and can at times get a little wet and windy.
- We reserve the right to cancel right up until the departure time if conditions are deemed unsafe.
- Direction is of the skipper who will take all conditions into account on the day (speed, direction etc).
Passenger Conduct, Fitness & Safety
- Please advise the crew upon boarding or before entering the water if you are not a strong swimmer, or have any concerns about in-water activities.
- Tour travels into open waters and requires at least a moderate degree of mobility for boarding and moving around the vessel safely whilst underway. It also requires the use of stairs. If you have any health concerns please contact us prior to booking.
- If you are prone to seasickness, please consider if this tour is right for you. Catamarans are generally very stable however this is an ocean-going experience. We advise you to consult a pharmacist if you have any concerns.
- BYO is permitted providing it is consumed in moderation. We ask guests to refrain from drinking until after water based activities (e.g. snorkeling). Spirits are not to be brought onboard.
- Pregnant guests who will be in their third trimester please contact us prior to making a booking.
- If you turn up intoxicated or heavily affected by any substance you will not be allowed to board. No refunds will be given.
- This is a non smoking tour.
Children On Board
- Children aged 5 to 14 require a child ticket and must be supervised at all times. Please advise thier ages in the "age of children" booking field to life jacket provisions can be made in advance.
- Children aged 1 to 4 are free of charge (1 per paying adult) subject to space availability onboard - you MUST contact us before making a booking to confirm first. Please leave prams at home.
- Persons aged 15 to 18 must be accompanied by an adult unless permission has been obtained from management in writing prior.
- All children under 10 may be asked to wear a life jacket whilst underway and at the destination, depending on conditions.
Reschedules / Refund Policy
- Our full T&C's and cancellations policy (updated Nov 2020) can be found at: https://www.charter1.com.au/terms-and-conditions/
- Tour tickets are non-refundable.
- One reschedule is allowed but it must be made at least 72 hours (3 days) in advance of departure. Subsequent reschedules are not permitted.
- 24-72 hours prior to departure - reschedules will incur a $25 per person late change fee. Subsequent reschedules are not permitted.
- 0-24 hours prior to departure - changes are not permitted.
- If you are unable to use your ticket and would like to transfer it to a friend, please contact us in writing with at least 24 hours notice.
Corporate Christmas Cruise The Charter one team really have the whole deal down pact. The team went above and beyond to look after us on our 4 hour afternoon cruise to Carnac island.ptrythall 12/21/2017
The local knowledge of the team really shines through, we were accommodated like family on board. The endless activities provided, food service and also having a local tell us about the nature around the area made for a perfect office escape!
Charter 1 worked around us to ensure we had a successful Christmas party.
I'd recommend hopping aboard - for whatever occasion with this awesome team - you will not be disappointed!
We have had two cruises on Capella and we loved them. The Yellow Cat is awesome! Lots of room and lots of things to do! Watching dolphins or sea lions, snorkelling, swimming and diving, or just relaxing on board with a cold drink or two! Have had a day cruise to Carnac island and a twilight cruise! Loved watching the sun go down with nothing between us and the sun! Beautiful! Thanks Charter 1.Patricia Richards 5/29/2018
Brilliant Day on Board the Capella! My group of friends and I booked the Capella for a day to Carnac Island. So easy to book and organise with Charter 1. They were so helpful on the day - just took along our food and drink and everything was done for us after that! I didn’t have to worry about cooking the BBQ etc! Ronni and the crew were brilliant at helping people get set up with the kayaks, snorkelling, SUP - so much to do! The day just wasn’t long enough! Special mention to Ronni for saving some sunnies from a life at the bottom of the sea! Thanks Charter 1! You will definitely see us again soon!Claire B 1/25/2018